Sunday 24 January 2010

Well today's ride turned out to be far more epic than I'd expected from a quick afternoon spin...


It was raining as I set off (it had been raining most of the day tbh) and I had the age old Cyclist problem of riding in a Cape. You see, Capes make you feel like Rice. Yep, Rice. I say that, because life goes along all rosy until someone (often yourself) decides to 'turn the heat up' and make you work....then it's rather like Boil in the Bag. Literally. So there I was quietly perspiring (it's still raining btw) and I decided to spice up the ride by making it up as I went along...so of course I got lost within the hour. Have I mentioned the fact that there was an EVIL headwind? No? Well there was.


My normal route into Southport was Ok, it was just when I tried to replicate a route me and my Dad used last Wednesday (but in reverse) that the problems began. The problem was pretty simple really: Southport has FAR too many roads, bridges and roundabouts that look EXACTLY the same as all the others. So in short I emerged rather chillier and a little unnerved not far from where I'd entered the town originally about 45mins earlier. Rather a pointless loop really. But I got to practice my eating whilst riding skills when I was forced to eat a rather frozen cereal bar somewhere on the Moss back roads (which takes some doing believe you me) so it wasn't a complete loss :)


Oh, and I only passed one other bikey in the whole 2 hours....and he was going the other way back into the Village as I was leaving. Bit of an omen perhaps...


So to summarise:


  • Rain make cycling not fun
  • Wind make cycling in cape and rain even more not fun.
  • Getting lost really doesn't help the situation.
  • Chocolate Geobars are like Rocket Fuel when you're hungry :) 


Now if you'll excuse me I have Biology revision :)

No comments:

Post a Comment